Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I am hooking 30 minutes everyday!

I came across this site called habit forge.com.  It helps you keep track of creating new habits.  I have it for stopping smoking, exercising everyday and hooking or doing some form of artwork everyday for at least 30 min.  It is really helping me be accountable.  Its funny, I did MORE when I was busier and working 6 days a week.  Now that I am home and not busy...I do LESS.  I am lazier for sure.  My mom says (Im 45 years old and she's still my MOM and helps me!--I guess you never get too old heh?) that I should schedule my days...make lists and create a "work schedule" so to speak for myself that I must stick to.  It is helping.  I do allow myself the ability to change times..for instance if it is icky weather..I wait till its nicer out...etc...but I really do try to stick to the schedule and it helps.  I even put the oven timer on when I start to hook.  Usually I hook a bit longer...cause I get into it.  But my goal is to do it for at least 30 min. a day.  Check out habitforge.com...its free...and it is based on studies that say it takes 21 days at least to create a new habit.
Today is all messed up because Tim's (my husband) dad is passing away.  We were called into the hospital at 2:00 in the morning and his last rights were read by the Father....the whole family was gathered.  He rallied through the night and is still with us....but I came home and slept for another 5 hours.  Besides, I think I am coming down with something.  Just do not feel good at all today.  Perhaps its just the stress of losing Ralph (Tim's Dad).  He is 83 but has just had it pretty bad the last few years with many heart attacks, strokes and problems with his diabetes.  He has said for quite some time now that he wishes to go....but it still very very hard for the family.  Tims mom has Alzheimers so she will have to go into a nursing home now as Ralph was pretty much taking care of things at home with a nurse that came by every once in awhile.  Luckily Tim has many siblings and some that love to take charge.....and while this bothers the heck out of me most of the time...with this I will be happy to step aside and allow them to take care of things.  My own parents are going to need my help in the not so far away future and I am the only child still in the area...so my time will come then to do the work with my aging parents.  The circle of life..................................

Sunday, October 17, 2010


Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake

Pumpkin Cheesecake with Caramel Sauce

  Thinking about Thanksgiving! The dessert is easily the most anticipated part of the Thanksgiving meal and I like to go all out for it. I could not believe that I did not have any pumpkin in my Thanksgiving dinner yet so a pumpkin pie cheesecake seemed like the perfect choice. I could not resist using a gingersnap snap crust as the ginger and pumpkin flavour combo is an amazing one. I then took things a step further and covered the cheesecake with some home made caramel sauce. One of the things that I like about a cheesecake is that you can easily make it the day before so you can lighten the load for an already large meal. In fact it is best to let the cheesecake cool completely and then let it chill out in the fridge overnight so it really should be made a day ahead. This pumpkin pie cheesecake was the perfect end to my Thanksgiving dinner!  This recipe is from Closet Cooking.com

Pumpkin Cheesecake with Caramel Sauce

Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake

(makes 6+ servings)
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
2 cups gingersnap cookie crumbs
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
6 tablespoons butter (melted)
3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese (room temperature)
3 eggs (slightly beaten)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions:
1. Mix the gingersnap cookie crumbs, ginger and butter and press into the bottom and up 1 inch along the sides of a 9 inch spring form pan.
2. Bake the crust in a preheated 350F oven for 5 minuters and set aside.
3. Cream the cream cheese.
4. Mix in the eggs one at a time followed by the sugar, pumpkin puree, vanilla and then the spices.
5. Pour the mixture into the spring form pans.
6. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until it is set, about 60-70 minutes.
7. Let it cool completely.
8. Chill the cheesecake in the fridge overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment